Monday, May 5, 2014

What should I wear?


I didn't realize quite how big a question this was until I tried doing portraits of my own kids for Valentine's day. I had about five different options laid out on the floor, and none seemed to work. Finally, I borrowed a scarf and a sweater from a friend and it all came together in a vibrant, crazy, perfect sort of way.

Of course, I'd been asked this question by clients before. And my answer was always: "try to coordinate without being too matchy-matchy." But after realizing that this is easier said than done, I thought I'd put a few more ideas out there.

1. Pick a palette. I love clothing that's bright and vibrant. Colors that are rich and intense look beautiful in photographs—for example, burgundy, eggplant, teal, rust, or olive.

2. Black and white do not tend to photograph well. That said, sometimes white can create a wonderful innocent and timeless look. Just shun the matching white button down shirts in favor of a sundress and flip-flops and a breezy scarf (Spring and Summer) or a chunky hat and textured sweater (Fall and Winter). Even then, I love a pop of color here and there: a necklace, shoes, a flower in someone's hair, are all fun ideas. 


3. You can use a unifying color with neutrals like charcoal gray, tan, chocolate brown, or olive, for a really nice, natural but fun look. Think of bringing the color into jewelry or hair accessories, a scarf, shoes, or a little girl's dress.

4. Use patterns, textures, and layers to add visual interest. Textured fabrics such as denim, cable knits, linen, and corduroy all photograph well. Layers add depth to photos. Clothing doesn't have to be solid colors; patterns look especially great on kids (floral dresses, plaid shirts) and can add variety to the photo.

5. Don't forget your feet. Shoes can really finish off the outfit. I especially love boots and flip flops, but anything that adds personality can be fun. Of course most photos will be focused on your faces...just be sure one person's feet don't detract from the image by being totally out of line with the rest of your family's look. (For example, everyone in dress shoes and one person in really ratty tennis shoes).

Above all, try to find clothes you love. If you and your family feel good in what you are wearing, it will be that much easier to relax and let your personalities shine through to be caught by the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment